History and chronicle of the Daun castle
Castle Schloss hotel Kurfurstliches Amtshaus
Palace Dauner Burgregiman prince deanery, Daun in the volcanic Eifel mountains, 40 km Cochem on the Mosel river, 70 km Trier, 72 km Koblenz / Coblence, Eifel mountains between the Rhine and Moselle rivers, Luxembourg and Belgium
In the middle of the Daun district, in the heart of the romantic volcanic Eifel region, the castle hotel “Kurfürstliches Amtshaus” stands on a basalt rock of an extinct volcano.
In the castle, numerous traces of old cultures and rich history unite:
- 700 BC Fortified refuge of the Celtics.
- 50 BC Fortified Roman watchtower.
- about 1000 Building of the Daun castle.
- 1352 First partial destruction of the castle at the possession of the fortress through the electors Balduin of Trier and Wilhelm of Koln / Cologne. The division of the castle between the two electors was sealed by treaty, but never fulfilled.
- 1354 The castle is in possession of the Count of Daun again.
- 1618 to 1648 The town and castle suffer under the Thirty-Year-War.
- 1643 The castle gentlemen are given a peerage into the imperial count class and now call themselves “Counts and Gentlemen of and from Daun”.
- 1657 Count Wilhelm Johann Anton of Daun enters into the Austrian services.
Leopold of and from Daun, General field marshal, prince of Tiano, most famous scion of the Daun castle
- 1705 Leopold Josef Maria, grandson of Count Wilhelm is born.
- 1718 Entrance into military services
- 1739 Promoted as field marshal as a result of his meritorious service in the Turkish war
- 1740 to 1742 Participation in the first Schlesian war
- 1744 to l745 Participation in the second Schlesischen war
- 1754 Nomination as general field marshal
- 1756 bis 1763 Participation in the seven year war between Austria and Prussia
- 1757 Leopold liberates Prague, defeats the “Old Fritz” in Kolin; herewith he breaks the myth of Prussian invincability
- 1758 First holder of the Grand Cross of the Order of Maria-Theresia
Wins once more an important battle against Prussia near Hochkirch,
is oppointed as commander-in-chief of the whole Austrian forces.
- 1766 Leopold dies in Vienna; burial place in the Vienna Augustinian church; epitaph on his grave among others: “Rescuer of the Austrian state … restorer of the art of battle … praiseworthy emulator of the heroes of the past …”
- 1689 Destruction of the castle and town by French troops of the “Sun King”, Louis XIV
- 1712 Renovation of the castle. The Trier elector and duke of Lorraine builds a hunting lodge and residence with office.
- 1793 French revolution; end of the regimen princedom Trier, French become owner of the castle.
- 1815 Prussian state property
- 1948 The state of Rhineland-Palatinate acquires the sovereign rights.
- 1957 The town of Daun becomes the owner of the castle.
- 1978 The castle passes into private hands.
- 1979 to 1981 Upgrading and extension of the castle and manor – The Kurfurstliches Amtshaus comes into being as a castle hotel.
Gunter and Christa Probst
D-54550 Daun / Vulkaneifel
Tel. +49 (0) 65 92 / 925-0
Fax +49 (0) 65 92 / 925-255